Former national table tennis player set to host tournament today

first_imgFormer junior national table tennis player Mike Clarke has organised and will roll out an individual two-day table tennis tournament from today at the National Gymnasium. The tournament, which is open to all, is expected to see players competing in the 11 years and under, 15 years and under, and 18 years and under categories while the seniors will go up against each other in the B and C class open.Veterans are also expected to compete against each other in the 50 and 65 years and over categories. Clarke, who resides in  the United States and is currently an ITTF level coach, indicated to Stabroek Sports that the event was organised to aid in the advancement of the sport at the middle and high school levels.last_img

Russia answers WADA but non-compliance threat remains

first_img(Reuters) – Russian authorities have responded to questions about “inconsistencies” found in data retrieved from a Moscow laboratory, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) said yesterday, as the threat of missing the 2020 Olympics continues to hang over the country. Russia once again found itself in the doping hot seat when WADA revealed in September that historical data supplied by the country’s anti-doping authority contained “inconsistencies” that resulted in a decision to open a formal compliance procedure against the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA).In a statement WADA said the responses were being assessed by its Intelligence and Investigations (I&I) department and independent forensic experts, who would report to the Compliance Review Committee (CRC).The CRC will then decide whether to bring a formal recommendation of non-compliance which could result in Russia being excluded from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. AdvertisementRUSADA had been ruled non-compliant by WADA following the 2016 report that exposed the country’s huge state-sponsored doping programme.In September last year, the WADA executive committee voted to reinstate RUSADA before it had fulfilled the requirements laid out in a “Roadmap to Compliance”, which included giving access to the data stored at Moscow’s anti-doping laboratory. The Russian agency missed the December deadline but an inspection team was finally allowed to retrieve the data in January, recovering more than 2,200 samples.Examination of the data, which includes thousands of anti-doping tests undergone by Russian sportsmen and women, has raised questions about the possible manipulation of laboratory results.WADA said it had no deadline for a report although it anticipated that the CRC would be in a position to consider the I&I’s report before the end of November.last_img read more

Success for Russell’s Royals, Simmons tastes defeat

first_imgDHAKA, Bangladesh, CMC – West Indies star Andre Russell had little to do as his Rajshahi Royals rolled Johnson Charles’s Sylhet Thunder by eight wickets in the fifth match of the Bangladesh Premier League here yesterday. Opting to bowl first at the Shere Bangla National Stadium, Russell got the breakthrough for Royals when he trapped opener Rony Talukdar lbw for 19 in the fourth over with Thunder racing along at 35 in the power-play.The strike was the right-arm pacer’s only success, however, as he sent down 3.3 overs which cost 25 runs.Charles, meanwhile, made 16 from 10 balls at the top of the order before perishing in the fifth over with the score on 41, and it was left to captain Mosaddek Hossain and Mohammad Mithun, with the joint top score of 20, to rally their side up to 91 all out off 15.3 overs. In reply, Liton Das slammed an unbeaten 44 from 26 deliveries in a 62-run second wicket stand with Afif Hossain (30) to lift Royals to victory after they lost Hazratullah Zazai to the third ball of the innings without a run on the board.On Thursday, West Indies opener Lendl Simmons, fresh from his outing against India in the recent three-match T20 series, struck 26 in a 45-run opening stand with fellow Windies batsman Chadwick Walton (18) but their Chattogram Challengers – also featuring West Indies seamers Kesrick Williams and Rayad Emrit – went down to Khulna Tigers by eight wickets.last_img read more

Celtics fend off Hawks’ upset bid behind Brown’s 24 points

first_img(Field Level Media) Daniel Theis blocked a potential go-ahead basket by Trae Young with 2.7 seconds remaining as the Boston Celtics held off the visiting Atlanta Hawks, 109-106, yesterday. Jaylen Brown had 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead all five starters scoring in double figures for the Celtics, who won for the seventh time in their last eight games. Enes Kanter chipped in 14 points and 11 rebounds off the bench for Boston, which played without Kemba Walker (flu).Young had 28 points and 10 assists in his return from a two-game absence with a sprained ankle, Kevin Huerter scored 17 and John Collins was at 16 before exiting in the third with a back contusion for the Hawks, who have dropped 11 of 12.Atlanta got within two, 103-101, on a Huerter dunk with 3:37 to go and made it 105-104 when Alex Len hit 1 of 2 at the line with 52.8 seconds left. Marcus Smart responded with a three to give the Celtics a 108-104 lead with 42.3 seconds remaining. After Len hit a tip-in to make it a two-point game, Young had a chance to put Atlanta up in the final seconds before Theis swatted it away. Young was assessed a technical foul in the aftermath, and Smart made the free throw to seal the outcome.The Celtics trailed by as much as 18 in the first quarter but used a 34-23 scoring edge in the second to get within two at the half. Boston was up by six, 73-67, before Young drained back-to-back 3-pointers to even things at 73 with 3:12 left in the third.A Gordon Hayward three with 1.8 seconds to go helped Boston to an 82-80 lead entering the fourth. The Hawks took advantage of sloppy Celtics shooting to start, using a 25-5 run to jump out to a 29-11 lead with 1:17 left in the first. Atlanta held a 32-19 edge after one.Boston began the second with a 13-6 stretch and would get within one, 44-43, on a pair of Jayson Tatum free throws with 5:08 to go but entered intermission down 55-53.Collins led all scorers with 14 points at the break. Brown paced Boston with 11.last_img read more

Kevin Durant tests positive for coronavirus-report

first_imgNEW YORK, (Reuters) – Brooklyn Nets forward Kevin Durant has tested positive for coronavirus, the Athletic reported yesterday, less than a week after the global outbreak prompted the suspension of the NBA season. “Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine. We’re going to get through this,” 10-time NBA All-Star Durant was quoted as saying.The Nets had said earlier yesterday that four of its players were isolated and under the care of team physicians after testing positive for coronavirus but did not identify the individuals.Durant signed with the Nets last summer but has been sidelined by an Achilles injury sustained during last season’s NBA Finals when he was playing for the Golden State Warriors. “The organization is currently notifying anyone who has had known contact with the players, including recent opponents, and is working closely with state and local health authorities on reporting,” the team said.“All players and members of the Nets travel party are being asked to remain isolated, closely monitor their health and maintain constant communication with team medical staff.”Three of the players were asymptomatic while one was showing symptoms of the rapidly-spreading virus days after the Utah Jazz reported that two of its players had tested positive for coronavirus. The Nets last played against the Lakers in Los Angeles on March 10. A day later, the league suspended its season until further notice, as the coronavirus pandemic hit major sporting events across the globe.last_img read more

Hemraj happy to represent GAW in CPL 2020

first_imgElectrifying opener, Chandrapaul Hemraj, is ecstatic about representing the Guyana Amazon Warriors in this year’s Caribbean Premier League (CPL). The 26-year-old left-hander, is one of six local players to be retained ahead of the CPL draft alongside three regional players and a local emerging player.Last season, Hemraj ended with 299 runs from 12 outings with a strike rate of 121. The explosive batsman also showed his worth with the ball, snapping up five wickets and an economy of 6.8 with his left-arm orthodox.In an invited comment, Hemraj explained: “I’m really happy to be back with the Warriors and I must say thanks to the management for showing that confidence in me.” The Strathavon, East Coast Demerara resident said that it is a “special feeling” being able to represent his home country at the ‘Biggest Party in Sport.’Hemraj, reflecting on last season, said that he  believes that he had a good run but wanted to produce more on this occasion and reignite a claim for West Indies selection particularly ahead of the T20 World Cup.“CPL is the premier T20 tournament in the Caribbean. Everyone plays to their best and I definitely will be bringing my ‘A-game’. Last season I did fairly well but I’m aiming to better that performance and hopefully, push for a spot in the West Indies side for the World Cup in Australia,” Hemraj, who has played six One Day Internationals said. With the world on lockdown due to the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, Hemraj said that he has not eased on his training but is working diligently to be ready for the tournament.“The restrictions from the pandemic has limited my training from what I would have liked,” he stated while adding, “but I have been working along with a programme from the trainer and I have been doing a lot of work on my own, you know getting some batting practice with my family’s help and working on my strength and fitness.”The CPL is scheduled to take place between 19 August and 26 September but the tournament organisers are currently watching the current situation with COVID-19 closely and are liaising with medical advisors and governments. A decision on whether the tournament can proceed as planned, or at a different time, will be made as soon as possible. Caption: Chandrapaul Hemraj will turn out for the Guyana Amazon Warriors in CPL 2020last_img read more

Lloyd advises CWI to get help cutting costs

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados,  CMC – As Cricket West Indies (CWI) tries to stay afloat amid financial turbulence exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, a cricket legend has suggested that it needs assistance to reduce costs associated with playing the sport in the Caribbean. Sir Clive Lloyd, an accomplished former Windies captain, contended that given the current high cost of travel and hotel accommodation, it was difficult for CWI to make a profit.“We don’t make any money playing cricket at home anymore, and that is because of the costs…. We travel by plane, we stay at hotels in the high season. We have to try and get somebody to look after that,” he said on the Mason and Guest radio show here Tuesday night.  “We can’t go to places to play Test cricket where you’re not going to make any money. We can play One-Day games in some of these places, which would be much better for West Indies instead of taking them to places where you know that nobody is going to come for the four or five days. “Cricket is very expensive so we have to look at all these things…. You have to have a plan…. All these years – we’re now 80-odd years – and we’re still in the doldrums where finances are concerned,” Sir Clive lamented.CWI, already in a tough financial situation, has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic which has forced the postponement of some revenue-generating series that are now in jeopardy of being called off. Last week, president Ricky Skerritt said the situation had plunged CWI’s “already poor financial state into ICU”, and the urgency of the situation required cost-cutting and not simply cost-saving.A quarterly board meeting scheduled for later this month is expected to have finance as its sole agenda item as the regional governing body attempts to stave off a crisis. Sir Clive also commented on the controversy surrounding a recent CWI audit report which uncovered “illustrations of questionable executive standards and practices”.The audit was commissioned by the Skerritt administration which took office in March 2019, and was carried out by accounting and management consulting firm, Pannell Kerr Foster (PKF). The internal report was submitted to the Board last December but portions of it were only recently made public by international broadcaster and legendary former West Indies fast bowler, Michael Holding on a YouTube cricket show.“We have a report that is all over the place. Things must be very chaotic at the moment,” Sir Clive observed. “I hope that good sense can prevail and they can sit down and work things out because our cricket needs to have some stability.” Lawyers for Skerritt’s predecessor, Dave Cameron, have threatened legal action against CWI unless he gets a copy of the audit report. Veteran attorney Tony Astaphan, a member of Cameron’s legal team, has described some of the report’s findings as “seriously lacking credibility” and said his client was entitled to a copy so he could defend himself.last_img read more

Metric Gaming FA Cup tickets up for grabs at Betting on Football

first_img David Webb, BetConstruct: Why meeting new regulations is the industry’s big challenge for 2019 April 4, 2019 WATCH: How will VAR impact in-play betting markets? August 2, 2019 Submit Share Related Articles OtherLevels: Brendan O’Kane – Customer expectations will be the driving force for innovation March 19, 2019 Share Delegates attending the Betting on Football Conference at Stamford Bridge will get the chance to win tickets to the FA Cup Final by proving their betting prowess, courtesy of Metric Gaming.The Real Time In Play Betting Competition will focus on Arsenal’s home match against West Bromwich Albion with competitors using Metric’s SuperLive Platform in order to demonstrate they know how to perform under pressure.Whoever proves to be the most successful punter over the course of the match will win two tickets for the FA Cup Final at Wembley on Saturday 21st May.Metric Gaming’s Commercial Director Conall McSorley commented: “Betting on Football is the perfect event to demonstrate what our SuperLive Platform is all about. We believe there’s no better in play solution, so to be able to show it off to the industry in this way is really exciting.”SBC Managing Director Andrew McCarron added: “We love having the opportunity to present Metric’s SuperLive in such a fun way. The Real Time In Play Betting competition should have delegates at our evening networking party punting furiously for their chance to win the tickets for the Wembley showdown.”“It’s not the only competition of the evening either, as Betradar has also sponsored the Official SBC Foosball Championship, with the eventual prize being the foosball table itself!”Check out more about Betting on Football by clicking here. StumbleUponlast_img read more

Kiggit plans UK launch following UKGC license approval

first_img StumbleUpon UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Related Articles UKGC hails ‘delivered efficiencies’ of its revamped licence maintenance service  August 20, 2020 Submit Share Share Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Copenhagen start-up Kiggit has confirmed that it has been awarded a UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) remote operator license. The start-up will now move to launch its social pool betting app in the UK within the coming months on both Android and iOS.Kiggit describes itself as a hybrid betting product; ‘A mix of Betfair’s Exchange and The Football Pools’. Its app allows users to create bet slips and bet against a group of friends or participate in daily and weekly pools.”Although the process has required a lot of work on documentation for the UK Gambling Commission, we now feel this has really paid off and that we have solid IP on our hands with the license”, Jakob Hagemann, CEO and founder of Kiggit, said.Gaining a UKGC license, Kiggit management will move to fully integrate a real-money wagering and payment solution to its app. The app will be launched for UK customers following a period of beta testing, with a view of enhancing its upcoming release.Commenting on his start-up’s future ambitions Jakob Hagemann further added:”We aim to position Kiggit as a leading social betting app, but also take a shot at the traditional pools providers. We simply believe our tech stack is ready and our Nordic focus on UX has what it takes to enter the highly competitive UK market. We aim for a deeper social integration, whereas more traditional operators consider it social to simply have a Facebook page”.last_img read more

CJEU to give ruling on Gibraltar remote gambling status

first_img Mansion orders Playtech sports betting upgrade for casino properties June 5, 2020 Liverpool FC in agency dispute over £15m BetVictor sponsorship June 9, 2020 StumbleUpon Share EU research agency demands urgent action on loot box consumer safeguards July 29, 2020 Share Submit Related Articles The EU Court of Justice (CJEU), the principal law court of the European Union economic community will issue its ruling on whether Gibraltar a British overseas territory can be treated as a single party member with regards to its online gambling industry.CJEU officials have this week have started their review of Gibraltar’s online gambling industry, following the UK’s 23 June EU Referendum leave outcome.The UK High Court has asked the CJEU to rule on Gibraltar’s industry position as part of an ongoing tax dispute between industry body the Gibraltar Betting and Gaming Association (GBGA) and UK HMRC.The CJEU has been specifically asked on whether Gibraltar has the right to a separate status from the UK within EU laws.With regards to its betting/gambling sector the GBGA has requested that CJEU officials give clarity on whether industry services should continue to be treated as EU trade under the terms of the ‘Treaty of Functioning of the European Union’.last_img read more